Existing Member?

Halfpintharrier Homeward Bound

Stockholm

SWEDEN | Tuesday, 9 December 2014 | Views [240]

Sun 7th - the clocks went back an hour so we got up naturally early. We went to grab some breakfast. Had a great chocolate muffin and coffee and got a seat by the window and saw the sun rise. Was quite lovely.  Also read all the results from the Singapore marathon.  After disembarking at Stockholm we caught the subway to the hostel. We couldn't check in so left bags and wandered into Stockholm. We passed an ice rink and walked in to watch some Bandy (like ice hockey but with a ball).  Grabbed some bread and cheese from a supermarket close by for lunch.  It is a stunning city, lovely building and surrounded by water. We decided to walk to the ABBA museum. The museum was really good. Gave all the history about the band and was interactive. Really enjoyed. After we walked in the park but it was getting dark so headed back to the hostel. Walked down a shopping street and got dinner at Burger King. Back to the hostel and had an early night. 

Mon 8th - went for a run along the water which was a good way to start the day.  Walked into the centre and got a takeaway coffee and muffin from a coffee shop and then went to the City Museum to buy a map for a walking route but it was closed on Mondays. So decided to take a ferry to Dronnington but there were no ferries. We walked to tourist information at the central station but they were useles and only after specificially asking did they say it was actually shut. So we decided just to walk around which was really nice. Went to the flagship H&M store and saw the changing of the guards at 12.15pm. Went to a kind of deli market for lunch (got a take away pastry) and then wandered around the shops and narrow streets.  Walked back early to the hostel, on the way stopping at a pub for a glass of wine. Dinner was pasta at the hostel. 

Tue 9th - got up for another run, this time running across the other side of the river near the hostel and through more of a wooded area. After showering back at the hostel and breakfast we walked into the city and walked up some stairs to the Katrina lift (an old lift).  We then walked into the old town area of cobbled street into a lovely little cafe called Cafe Schweizer Konditori and had a big coffee in a mug.  The food looked great too but it was so expensive.  We then walked to the gardens and then back towards the hostel to have a drink in the pub we went to yesterday.  In the early evening we went to the Nobel Prize museum as it was free after 5pm. It was okay but a little disappointing. 

About halfpintharrier


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Sweden

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.