Existing Member?

My Adventures in Sonadia

The Cold Nights in Sonadia

BANGLADESH | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [173] | Scholarship Entry

Four of my friends and I were supposed to be near the boat [reserved for the trip to Sonadia Island] at 1 pm sharp. At 4 pm we reached in the Island and everyone was exhausted. Then at 9 pm we prepared for a bonfire and had bbq- chicken for a late night dinner. We set the bonfire closed to a beach, the only beach in our vicinity. We could hear and feel the sounds from the waves of the beach. After eating, we played some games. After the games, we went in our tents to sleep. This was the first time ever in my life that I slept inside a tent. After an hour of struggling to fall asleep, Rabi said that she can’t sleep because she was feeling very cold. It got colder towards the midnight and we were all shivering. We could not ask others for any blanket because they also needed, so the five of us came out of the tent. By that time everyone else was already asleep. We went and looked for some bricks. It was Rabi’s idea to find bricks and heat that with what was left from our bonfire and then wrap the hot bricks with any cloth and sleep while holding the bricks close to our bellies. Each of us using our torches found one brick and followed exactly what my roommate had suggested. It actually worked and we finally fell asleep. It was 3:30 am that we fell asleep and then at 5:30 am we woke up because everyone was supposed to go to the beach and see the sunrise. We had not slept enough to wake, but we decided to wake up. I said we can sleep more once we go back home, but we should not miss seeing the sun rise. We went to the beach, saw the sunrise, and took some photos. After dinner we again had a bonfire and played some more games. Then we went back to our tents to sleep and again taking the help of bricks to warm ourselves. However, the second night was colder and the bricks alone did not help. I told my friends, “lets wear all of our clothes and sleep, it might help.” Friends agreed, and we took out all of our clothes and wore them one over another. We wore both the washed and the unwashed clothes of ours and then slept. In the morning one of my friends said, she had worn eight pieces of clothes including her blouses and jackets the previous night. She was the thinnest among all of us. We all laughed and continued walking. In the last minutes of returning back to our places, all of us shared our experiences of the trip. It turned out to be the best and most memorable trips each of us had ever had. We were all refreshed and ready to start a new semester.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About hakima25


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Bangladesh

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.