Existing Member?

A story about a tuktuk driver

A Local Encounter that Changed my Perspective - Behind The Bone

CAMBODIA | Sunday, 17 February 2013 | Views [269] | Scholarship Entry

Cheetos, one hour of parking, tacos are among the few things that came to us when being asked the question, “what can you get for a dollar?”. The answer might not be contrastive if being asked to American, Malaysian, Australian, and Singaporean or even in most parts of the world. But, try asking the question in Cambodia, or the better question will be, “what will you do FOR a dollar?”. This is not a guide on how to stretch your money there, but this is an axiom, of what some Cambodians do, just to get a hold on a few dollars.
The Driver – I was greeted by Phirun, a tuktuk driver in his late 20s at the Siem Reap bus station after arriving from Ho Chi Minh at 11PM offering his service to send us to our hotel. The whole 30 minutes ride cost us USD 2. After dropping us there, he asked whether we’re planning to watch the sunrise in Angkor Wat, we said yes, he asked us to be at the lobby at 4AM and tell us that the whole tour (he’s bringing us to Angkor Wat, and will be ferrying us from one temple to another for the whole day) will cost us USD 12, we have no objection. After the agonizing 15 hours bus ride, we decided to have some fun, we walked to Pub Street and have our late supper there. We’re back at 2AM, just to see Phirun outside the hotel, waiting for any guest that might want to use his service. Frankly, we were worried, he might be late to pick us up at 4AM, as he’s still there at 2. But, early in the morning, by his tuktuk, we see him waiting for us, with a smile that I don’t think I could give at four in the morning. Phirun sent us back to the town at 3PM where we decided to stay there till late. Surprisingly, when we were back at 10 PM, he’s still the waiting for customers. With only one trip per day to Angkor Wat (USD 12), 30 minutes to one hour ride that cost less than 3 dollars per trip, plus with the soaring gas price in the country, I don’t think he can barely get 30 bones. But still, there he is, working almost twenty hours a day just to get money, which most of us can get in just an hour.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About hafizzudinmohdnoor


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.