Existing Member?

SOUL SEARCHING WITH FOOD

Understanding a Culture through Food - Understanding Thai Culture Through Food

THAILAND | Thursday, 28 March 2013 | Views [555] | Scholarship Entry

In a search for balance in my life, I was faced with a dilemma on how best to achieve it. It was not until I realized that it was through the use of my senses I could ever get to feel nature.

The journey to the city of angels brought natural balance as I partook of the unique culture and tasted the exotic foods that made me feel fire in the mouth, the earth in my stomach, a rush of air through my veins and a water to quench the thirst in my soul.

So was my trip to Thailand, the deep understanding Thai food gave me of nature and some amusing facts I learnt of the deeply-cultured Thai citizens.

TOM YUM
In Thai culture loud talk is rude, but how can you speak when you have fire in your mouth? Not literally but you will feel the fire once you have a taste of Tomyum; a clear soup with prawn. There is more to Tomyum that its popular hot and sour taste. We can also learn of Thai economics from it. Huh, economics? In 1997 a Asian financial crisis saw the fall of the Thai Baht; a crucial time for every Thai. This period is called the “Tomyum Kung crisis.”

PAD THAI
If spice is not your way of life you can indulge in Padthai; stir-fried noodles with egg which will leave you so satisfied that you will feel like gravity is keeping you in your seat as though you had the earth in your stomach. The Thais understanding of this is reflected in the Thai film “Jao Sao Pad” where the protagonist decides that anyone who eats padthai 100 days in a row is the one she will marry. A must-try for every foreigner.

SMOOTHIES
Many foreigners have testified to having lost weight in Thailand. Most Thais are fit too. You want to know the Thai secret to a healthy body? Grab a smoothie. These ice-cold drinks that come in all flavors are not only good to leave a soothing trail in your veins but their airiness also helps with digestion, are low in calories, nutritious and tasty too.

COCONUT WATER
And that’s not all .Another compliment to Thai health is coconut water which has many health benefits as it is high in potassium, mineral content, anti-oxidants and natural energy which is also a great way of replacing electrolytes after exercise. This is food for the soul!

Do you need to find balance in your lifestyle without struggle? Thai food will get you reconnected to nature allowing you to feel fire in your mouth, the earth in your stomach, a rush of air through your veins and water to quench the thirst in your soul. I found my balance so come, its time to find yours.


Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About hadassahlouis


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.