Existing Member?

Hacking reality to live dreams

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [223] | Scholarship Entry

Hacking reality to live dreams.

The six towers of the gold bronze lit Sultan Ahmet mosque reached up to the moon.Traditional music and dance flowed over families and friends as they broke their Ramadan fast with homemade meals or vendor sold Gozleme pancakes.I was in Istanbul,coast of the beautiful blue green Sea of Marmara.

"There's a small but real chance you may not walk again.A greater fear is of Avascular Necrosis.We'll know in eighteen months".

Three years of intense physiotherapy and a more intense benevolence from the maker had replaced the wheelchair scenario with this trip across Europe,living my dream of driving the Autobahn.

Much of Europe accepts local driving licenses in English.Renting in Germany is cheaper(200€) to renting in Prague(1000€).Quaint towns,hills laden with wind farms and castles-definitely say YES to a road trip.

"We say we're German,you hear Nazi".Our free tour guide gave us a glimpse into the continued shame of the Nazi era.Shame completely unwarranted,I realized,as we pitched tents for each other,cooked and shared our cultural delicacies,ideated on how technology can look out for all,at the world's largest hacker's conference.

Kulning-a Swedish art of communicating over vast distances with a musical call.My Swedish companions in the train from Berlin to Prague informed,as we exchanged tales from our homelands,sang native folk songs and wowed at the changing landscape.

I stayed overwhelmed in a gigantic hug with my Romanian friend with whom I had penned countless thoughts but was meeting for the very first time.

The romance of cobblestone pathways by Charles Bridge,splendour of Prague's castle,solitude of Koln Cathedral,we took it all in.We sat by the sea in the fishing town of Marken near Amsterdam,eating fresh Tuna,drinking fine dark beer.

Sweet hope resonated within me.I had walked new land,rediscovered lost faith,my place in the world and a few nice friends to share that space with.I had hacked reality and lived my dream.

Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

About hackitliveit


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.