Existing Member?

The Trip

Arriving in Vancouver

CANADA | Monday, 1 October 2007 | Views [782] | Comments [3]

It was a bit of a long day of travelling on Saturday, but luckily pretty uneventful. Angie met us at the airport and drove us back to her apartment, which is a gorgeous flat right next to the centre of Vancouver. It rained non-stop from the time we arrived until this morning and so yesterday was mostly spent in the car driving round to get a feel for the place. We had fish and chips in a nearby fishing village though, nothing like hunting out all the English activities as soon as we arrive!The city is exactly how I imagined, wooden slat houses and bohemian coffee houses in the suburbs and sky rise blocks of flats downtown. Everyone seems to live in anoraks and every other shop sells wet weather gear and outdoorsey stuff. Today has been much nicer and we went for a walk by the coastline, posed next to totem poles (photos on their way), and spent a long time exploring Granville Island market and eating crepes.

We're heading to Gillies for Thanksgiving at the weekend and then staying on Vancouver Island before heading down to Seattle. For now I'm going to head downtown and attempt to hunt out an anorak that costs less than $100!

I've been told we are surrounded by mountains but due to the weather I'm yet to see one - am not yet convinced they're really there.

Tags: Family

 

Comments

1

I don't believe the mountains exist - it's all a big con. And for the record Manchester is definitely not the rainiest city! I think i'm slowly developing webbed feet!

Loving the place though!!

  Jo marsh Oct 3, 2007 7:46 AM

2

Hi Hannah, Sorry I didn't manage to bid you Bon Voyage in person but now you have arrived safely on your first leg and I would like to wish you a happy and exciting adventure.I look foreward to reading your journal.Lots of love, Mandy

  Amanda Goff Oct 4, 2007 7:24 AM

3

Hey Hannah,

Forgot to tell you that it rains a lot in Vancouver and also Seattle. That's why the Brits go to V., nd a good number of Irish to Seattle. The climate reminds the of home!

I remember the totem poles in the park. It is a beautiful place, if the sun shines. Hope you got to see the gardens in Van. Is.

Good to get an update - I'm sure all are interested and glad to know you're having some fun.

Watch out for the American guys tho - with drink they are stupid - just like everyne else.

Love and prayers for your safety, Ed

  Fred Salmon Oct 12, 2007 4:48 AM

About h_s33


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.