Existing Member?

The Janes of the Brazillian Jungle

Where are the Tarzan's when you need them?

BRAZIL | Thursday, 1 May 2014 | Views [179] | Scholarship Entry

I am lucky to be writing this. Today we embarked on a bit of a hike to a nearby beach with all good intentions to grab some exercise and explore the local surrounds. After a somewhat false start of one too many locals telling us incorrect details to actually find the track and some wildly entertaining hand gestures and other forms of international sign language - we found the rather dodgy track heading straight up.

Backpacks on, ready to sweat, we headed out confidently up the mountain to find Praia de Mole - Mole Beach in a nutshell.

We climbed upwards for the first half our over rocks chatty, happy but still a little cautious as the trail didn't really seem all that well-worn. Dripping with sweat, we reached the top with some awesome views of the nearby cove and local streets. Time for the drink stop, photos and a few high 5's to celebrate!

It went downhill (emotionally not literally) from there.

I hate when you reach a rarely used trail and it forks in 2 directions and you don't know which way to go. We took the mantra of 'If in doubt, go left' and maybe this is why we had such a horrific experience?

We took a left and the trail kind of disappeared and was swallowed by jungle, waist deep grasslands and rocks - a machete would have come in handy at this point! We were in 2 minds - turn around or keep going - we kept going, too proud to turn around and face the bus 45 mins away. I mean come'on we're Aussie right, we should be able to handle this situation in the wilderness with wild animals?

All I could think about was the movie 'Snakes on a Plane'. So, we did what any other chicks would do - we started singing, rapping to our own songs, giggling like mad, clapping, stomping and doing high knee exercises that would have made my trainer MissFit proud!

After 2 hours of clapping and rapping, in the distance, we saw a beach with people on it through the jungle. At this point, we were delirious with excitement and ran from there, stripped off and jumped in the ocean that was pristine and untouched. Only to discover, that it was a nudist beach and we were most certainly over-dressed!

A quick trail over some rocks and we discovered our Mole Beach complete with deck chairs, umbrellas, Agua de Coco (Coconuts with a straw) and eventually let our bodies relax and be calm. Needless to say, we caught the bus home!

Tonight us Jane's are going to be more civilised and hit the Floripa club scene to find some Tarzans in the event we do that hike again!

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About gypsygem


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.