Existing Member?

One of Canada's Hidden Gems

The Maggies

CANADA | Friday, 15 May 2015 | Views [419] | Scholarship Entry

A small dot appears in the distance. I feel like I am being invaded. I telepathically plead for the alien to turn around and go the other way.

This is my beach.

One of the many secluded, white sand stretches that populate this tiny archipelago sitting in the middle of the Gulf of Saint Lawrence. As the dot appears to retreat I reach for a cold one to calm my nerves. A chilled French rose accompanied by Pied-de-Vent the artisanal cheese produced in the community of Havre-aux-Maison. I take another splash in the ocean, generously warmed by the Gulf Stream, before packing up my sea-glass treasure and heading back to town.

Les Îles-de-la-Madeleine, or her less sexy name the Magdalen Islands, is owned by the province of Quebec. It is paradise lost to most travellers and it is the Caribbean of the North as far as I am concerned. The Madelinots are the warm and welcoming people of the islands, many are decedents from survivors of the more than 400 shipwrecks off her shores.

I hesitate to even mention the location in order to keep her authentic and inspiring beauty all to myself.

The Islands personify the simple things in life. Breathtaking vistas where the cows and the sheep enjoy the best views. Country roads that inspire a slow paced drive or stimulating cycle along ocean crests and through tiny villages. Food that is crafted from locally grown produce and presented with pride of place.

To mark my visit to the Islands, I purchase my third hand-blown wine goblet crafted by Izo. Using the hefty glass art makes me feel like a queen and drinking from it takes me back to the Island pace each time.

A fear of encountering a foreign language seems to be the reason why the tourist makeup tends to be French inspired. Little English is spoken in the shops and restaurants or represented by visiting license plate locales. My Franglais is welcome in each Island community so the fear is unwarranted. The Anglo tourists that do brave the 5-hour ferry ride from Prince Edward Island tend to be respectful of the unique experience the Islands offer its explorers.

I am contemplating another visit to the Islands. There are still adventures I want to experience. Maybe a winter visit this time to try my hand at kiteboarding on ice or to take in the seal observation tour. A fourth wine goblet would also complete my dinner place setting.

Hmmm. You know forget I mentioned the Islands. I have changed my mind. I think I will keep “the Maggies” my little secret.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About gutzeemoves


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.