Existing Member?

Fishermen and Pebbles

Young man and the sea

INDIA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [159] | Scholarship Entry

I'll never forget the day I went to the sea with the fishermen in their tiny boat. Gokarana is a beautiful fishing village by the beach. Whenever we think of beaches in India, we think of Goa. I was tired of that so decided to explore other beaches in southern India. I ended up in Gokarna. It had not become a tourist spot yet. I stayed for a few days. I would go fishing with the men, ride the waves, come back with the fresh catch that the women folk would cook. I'd read, laze around soaking the sun. The kids taught me how to play a pebble game. Time seemed to fly away.They were wonderful and i'm so grateful they welcomed me into their world. I wasn't a good swimmer and would think before venturing into water. But, after boat trips and the time I spent with my fishermen friends, i leant to respect the sea and be one with it. There are places to trek too. You can go from beach to the other by trekking the tiny hills. The view of the beach from these hills on a full moon night will remain with me forever.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About guavago


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.