Existing Member?

Hidden Town among Altitudes

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - My Big Adventure

SWITZERLAND | Wednesday, 23 March 2011 | Views [345] | Scholarship Entry

The sky is wonderfully bright; the ground covered with mounds of velvety snow, seems peacefully and amazing. Everywhere is all white, and far beyond all those whiteness, a contrary of tall pine trees and small wood houses with its smoky chimney’s perching on the hills, it’s like inside the Christmas card. That beautiful scenery most likely to be seen in Switzerland and had accompanied my journey so far. While watching those entire scenery flicks past, the rickety orange train labeled “La Gruyere” was speeding to reach my destination.

Slowing down on its track, through the half open window, I saw a huge landscape surrounded by highly mountains and hills, were nothing else, except Cars Park and a building, which apparently is the station. Where is this La Gruyere then? The location is pretty amazing; it is located in the crag of the mountain peak of Moleson. A serpent like’s staircase, long and wriggly with it’s unstring steps was build around the hills, makes its’ path to a grand entrance of this medieval town.

This town is lined with historical houses, which decorated in a simply country style and geraniums. In the middle of the pavement stand pleasantly, the octagonal fountain that once used as sources. And just nearby, there is this jester’s 14th century residence of Chalamala which adored with victorious antlers and a terrifying dragon-like gargoyle. Along the pavement there are some art museums, but there is one has caught my attention; H.R. Giger Museum. Famous for its graphic design, the artist himself had made the special effect for the movie “Alien” and won an Oscar.

Rising up the slope, just at the tip, stood a grandeur sturdily Castle. Charmed by its’ magnificence, I took a short walk, admiring its’ ancient beauty. Having too much fun enjoying the Castle, I didn’t realize it was noon already. Time for lunch! I decided to try these famous local dishes; Raclette and Fondue.

Raclette is a 6 kg round shape cheese, heated in front of a fire, then scraped onto diners’ plate. Traditionally, it is accompanied by small potatoes, pickles and dried meat such as prosciutto. As for fondue which is more popular, it is a blend of cheeses with white wine, kirsch and seasoning that heated inside a pot. While the mixture is stirred continuously as it heats in the pot, dip the prepared cut bread using the special fondue fork into it. According to tradition, someone who drops their bread inside must kiss the person seat next to them.

After lunch, I stopped at La Maison du Gruyere, a cheese making facility where I can get more information about history, tradition and making process by taking an audio tour led by Cherry the cow. When it's ended, the sun was on its position to rest, telling me that my adventure in Gruyere was over. Is it really over? Yes, I’m afraid it is in reality but not in my memory.

Tags: #2011writing, travel writing scholarship 2011

 

About gruyere


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.