Existing Member?

Adventures Await in Sedona Arizona

Many Experiences Are Waiting For You In Sedona

USA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [91] | Scholarship Entry

An owner of a Western and Native American Art Gallery in Florida was the first to recommend Sedona: 'You are going to Arizona? Then you must visit Sedona. It is a splendid town in the middle of a red sandstone canyon that has inspired many of our artists. Some live there. Go visit many of the great art galleries.'

'Check out Sedona', a friend said a few days later. 'It is has New Age spiritual centers where you can study various practices, including isolation tanks featured in Altered States.'

Another friend in Seattle said over lunch, 'Go to Sedona. You will love taking photos in the stunning red sandstone hills. People go on photo expeditions through the hills in jeeps.'

Sedona was all of that and much more. I was traveling with a Native artist and discovered that Sedona is considered to be a very active spiritual center for many natives and other spiritual seekers. Exploring medicine wheels in the area can provide insight into native spirituality and life practices.

Many are drawn to powerful spiritual vortexes in the area. Tours are available to help you explore possibly life-altering experiences. I had some adventures in Sedona that gave me surprising insights into the native spiritual experience. One day I may write about those experiences!

The red sandstone hills glow like fire at sunrise during sunrise and sunset. Contrasting green trees and shrubs and gentle streams instil a calm sense of awe. Some of the natural highlights include Cathedral Rock, Oak Creek Canyon, and the Broken Arrow Trail. You can enjoy the splendour view outside of your accommodation or explore by hiking, cycling, or driving through the canyons.

My first impression was that there were more art galleries in Sedona than in all of Canada. Not likely fair to Canada, though the Tlaquepaque (pronounced Tla-keh-pah-keh) Arts and Crafts Village can give that impression.

The art ranged from inexpensive items for tourists to the sublime for serious collectors. I could see why art collectors interested in Southwest art fly to Sedona.

We went to local bar to have a few beers and shoot some Nine-Ball Pool. Much of the diversity of Sedona was reflected in the people gathered in the bar, including group of cowboys in pristine Western gear, people that looked like New Age Explorers, and tourists who seemed to be wondering how they managed to step into an alternative universe.

I suspect I only caught a slight glimpse of the depth of Sedona. What adventures wait for you in Sedona?

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About gregdixon


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.