Existing Member?

Island Snow Globe

Koh Ta Kiev

CAMBODIA | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [244] | Scholarship Entry

Just a name; a tip-off; a handy hint from a friend; a stranger; a fellow traveller is all it takes to find yourself wandering down an unknown road willing every corner to be the last so you can reach your destination thus making all those long uncomfortable travel hours worth it.
As I made my way with my trusty companion, my backpack, which was losing content and the ability to hold itself together at an alarming rate, along this dwindling dusty road I managed to find myself aboard a longtail. Luckily it was a calm, hazy day so the water lapping at the edges of beautifully manicured, colourfully painted wooden slats did no more than nudge us in the direction of our supposed destination.
Everytime I made the slightest movement the canvas below me rustled and my mosquito net fell further into my face; eventually I gave up on any notion of sleep and unzipped my sweaty but cosy cocoon. As I stretched my body from a night sleeping at a disconcerting right angle and a slight niggling worry about what was surrounding me in the undergrowth I looked out towards what was no-man's land for an islander. I relished the overwhelming feeling that this is where I was supposed to be and even if that was not the case there was nothing I could do about it as the next boat was not leaving for at least three more days.
With a little exploration I found myself clambering aboard a deserted bamboo raft; attached to shore at one end and anchored out at sea at the other. I was on my magic carpet and ready to ride; this ride being slightly less smooth than that of previous owners because I was the one who had to pull to and fro in order to get out to sea. Once I had gained enough distance from my hammock resting lazily on the beach I surveyed my surroundings.
Facing back towards the island a mirage peered back at me ; sparkling blue led to white sand met with varying greens and browns of vegetation. It was impossible to see further than the shore, the dense undergrowth adding mystery to my nighttime imagination of what was climbing up in the trees and crawling down below. Thus I turned my back and it was as if I was in a snow globe, yet replace the snow flakes with brilliant sunlight, and the hard ground with dazzling blue water. The endless horizon led me to believe that if I kept pulling on this rope I could reach the other side of the world.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About gracepenney


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.