Existing Member?

See it All in One Desert Location

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - My Big Adventure

WORLDWIDE | Saturday, 26 March 2011 | Views [138] | Scholarship Entry

I was standing in the middle of a crystal chandelier. Ribbons of watery droplets were reflecting rainbows all around me. The floors are a combination of swirls in black, red, and white pearls. I half expected to see Jean Harlow and Clark Gable sashay across the floor dressed in their showy best, white satin with black fur; tux and top hat. The curved stairway was designed for just a spectacle. The feel is that of unabashed opulence. I was swept away to a different era, the time of old Hollywood, glitz, glamour, and sophistication. I thought I might be in a glass of champagne.

Within moments, I was transported to a totally different world. I stepped off the tram into the arms of the great sphinx and all the secrets she hides. It is said, the answers to all the worlds questions are buried under her left paw. Behind the great sphinx lies the mystery of the huge onyx glass pyramid. A few steps are all it takes to be received in the ancient world of the Pharaohs. Everywhere I look there are sand stone reminders of where I am. It made me yearn to be able to read the hieroglyphics that are on the walls around me. Standing in the middle of the unbelievable expanse of the apex overhead, I ponder the architectural marvels and mystery of this structure.

Like magic, I'm on the water, listening to the warbling of an Italian gondolier, while the vessel slowly travels down the cannel. I let love wash over my soul leaving its little droplets of amore on my cheeks. Around me are marble columns rising impossibly high to the blue painted sky. A few steps away are the artist shoppes of Venice, stroll, shop, visit the designer showcases on the cobblestone streets of this Italy. The glass is so delicious it looks like rock candy at Christmas, just waiting to be unwrapped for a bit of sugary pleasure. A few more steps and you are looking up at the frescos of the famous Italian artists and out at Saint Mark's Square and The Rialto Bridge. Simply breathe taking.

So, am I in a dreamland adventure? Well yes, in a manner of speaking. It was the dream of one man, the gangster, Benjamin (Bugsy) Segiel. His dream of a paridise springing forth from the floor of the Mohave Desert. It was to be the playground of the rich and famous. But, with the time and talents of generations of dreamers, artists and architect, all these places, and more, are available for the common man to visit, see and explore. Nowhere else on earth can you be in so many places in such a short amount of time. Bring you're walking shoes, gambling money, and a sence of wonder and see all that Las Vegas, Nevada, USA has to offer.

Tags: #2011Writing, Travel Writing Scholarship 2011

About gowithbeth


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.