Existing Member?

Go slowly

Ah, the French paradox

FRANCE | Friday, 11 June 2010 | Views [197]

We have begun our eating tour of France very slowly.  So far we have been happy with eating in our apartment - the baguettes are of course amazing and only require butter.  The butter is special, I think  because it is saltier than ours.  Now, if you are on a low salt, low fat diet, neither of these items will be of interest. Perhaps you would enjoy the small French lentils which are made with onion and some kind of white sauce.  We have no idea what is in it, but why question when it tastes so good? 

Our apartment has three glass walls which is interesting because it is said that to the French happiness is a high wall around their home. Two of our glass walls face our private courtyard.  As you may know, I love to live with lots of light.  The kitchen is extremely convenient.  While sitting at the table I can reach the first shelve of our dish cabinet, I can reach in the fridge to get more butter, put away dirty dishes in the sink and scrape leftovers into the trash.  It is a step saver par excellence.  A space saving device has been invented here too.  Our glass stove top has a build-in oven (just like home) and dishwasher all-in-one combination (not like home).  That is, half of the space of an oven is an oven, the other half is a dishwasher - just so you can picture this.  It is the strangest contraption and to no surprise, the oven, for one, does not work.  You might recall that last year we rented an apartment with a washer/dryer combination which we could neither make wash nor dry.  Tomorrow a team of two handy Frenchmen and one Frenchwoman will return to persuade the oven to work.  Really, it is quite entertaining.  It does make me wonder though what strangers find funny in our country.  Surely we do some very weird things too?  Any ideas?

When we inquired about the oven and they found it not to be working, they offered us a micro.  I wondered what handy place in the kitchen we might put it on and they said - on the kitchen table.  What joy, to think that on our small table we would be joined by a micro which I could easily operate while squeezed unto an ever  shrinking corner of the table.  I declined the offer, taking a quick inventory of the small appliances lining the living room floor because the kitchen has no electrical receptacles.  For instance I'm toasting on the living room floor, making coffee there and also joined here, under the desk is my electric toothbrush - yes, right, because the bathroom has a receptacle so high that the brush would hang suspended in mid-air.

You can be sure that whatever happens in France does not stay here, not as long as I have time on my hands to share it with you.

We do have a workable iron and ironing board - and that is why the French look so very chic on the street.  I am in love with the stroll on Lyon streets that leads past store windows.  Wow, it is impressive what creative fashions can be bought here.  This is pure delight.  My sneakered feet have not entered a store, but the temptation index is rising.
My sneakered feet have walked in the park and into the toilet of same.  I must say that it is amazing that in this high-fashion country there are still - straddle and squat toilets.  I was glad not to have succumbed to any of the fab fashions from the boutique.
I hope this day finds you well and happy and if you have time to drop me a line I will be happy to receive your news and your reactions.
 
Kisses a la Français

Tags: when in france...

 

About goslowly


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.