Existing Member?

Travelling The World

Kuala Lumpur

MALAYSIA | Tuesday, 19 July 2016 | Views [257]

First, I must confess the nervous butterflies that one feels when jumping into a new adventure abroad, especially after being so comfortable in one place for a while. The last few weeks in Melbourne were a wirlwind of emotions. From saying goodbye to such good friends I have met, to feeling excitment about getting back on the road and then a bit nervous about the travel ahead.

I was in Kuala Lumpur last year, and my last stop after traveling SEA before b-lining iit to Melbourne. Last I was here I was with 4 good buddys I recently graduated with and a friend from grade-school I had not seen in a long time. We meet another Newfoundlander (Canadian) who is teaching here and made the most of this city. And that is the thing. KL is a busy but more modern city than Bangkok, and thus a little more expensive than one usually plans. The people are MUCH nicer though and less inclined to shake you down for a dollar.  Now I find myself here again, and I realize there is not much this city has to offer compared to the other places in Malaysia. Yes, the food here is phenomenal and yes, you can buy anything in Chinatown market for cheap-as-chips. However magnificiant the Petronus twin towers are, the outside of the shopping mall below takes away from it's beauty. There are aparently Batu caves nearby (which will do tomorrow) so hopefully they live up to their reputaion as they are the only other main attraction (so it seems) here in KL. I would suggest visiting for 1 day maybe two, but for what it's worth, get out and spend your money elsewhere as this city can become very expensive very quick. No real cheap booze ($7 pints), cigs are $5, private room for three is $20 a night each (Raggae Mansion). The only thing I really love here is the food, one of the best in the world. Maybe the bar here at the masion will change my mind tonight, who knows... but for now I look forward to the two weeks in Borneo which seems much more inviting when I think about the beaches, National parks and cheap ammentities. Don't get me wrong I love to party, but it is much better when it is cheap :)

 

About gordo


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.