Existing Member?

Get lost n surprise yourself!

Going Back to the Colonial Times

INDONESIA | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [258] | Scholarship Entry

Sailing for almost nine hours, in a ship where almost in every corner ravished by the passengers, finally, the team and me arrived on an island in the southeastern city of Ambon, Banda Neira.

It was 11 pm past when Tidar ship finally leaning on the port of Banda Naira. It takes a bit of a struggle for us out of the throng of passengers, until we finally step on the island, which has been known as a producer of spices, especially nutmeg since the 16th century. At that time, Dede already waiting for us at the port, and within five minutes walk, we were already arrived in the lobby of Hotel Maulana, an old hotel with Dutch-colonial style.

After enjoying a bit of the Banda islands specialties, and watch the bustle (that still going on) in the harbor, we decided to rest that night.

At the next day, through the veranda overlooking the waterfront, among the palm and ketapang trees, we were struck by the sight Gunung Api right across the sea. And no need a long time, after breakfast, by renting a car we started down to explore this island.

Started from the monument of Tjiptaan Rakjat Banda as a sign of the founding of the People's Republic of Indonesia in 1949, then we goes to Fort Belgica which was established by the Governor General of VOC, Piether Both in 1611. With pentagon-shaped building style, and being right on top of the hill, this fort was once intended to look into all corners of the island. So no wonder, from the top of the fort we could enjoy the blue of Banda Sea, Gunung Api, Banda Besar Island and the ships back and forth delivering the divers.

Then we went to Naira Mini palace that was once the residence of the governor. The design of this palace was later used for the Merdeka palace in Jakarta (Batavia) a year after.

Minutes after, we arrived at the House of Culture that holds many relics of the VOC, including a painting that tells the massacre of the people prominent in Banda. Not far from there, we found an old temple, which was named Sun Tien Kong, “which means God's power house,” say the old lady who maintain the temple.

Yes, there are many more historic sites in Banda Neira that actually we can explore by taking a WALK. Noted that! For the sea itself, you don’t need to hesitate, just swim or dive and enjoy the beautiful underwater view from the sea of Banda.

At the end it’s just like some question in my head, was I recently on vacation to an island or to a large museum shaped island? Well, it’s Banda Neira.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About googleeye


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.