Existing Member?

Tanzania: Safari

Tanzania Safari

TANZANIA | Wednesday, 31 December 2014 | Views [254]

My wife and I were on 14 day safari to Lake Manyara, Tarangerie, Ngorongoro Crater, Serengeti and ending on the Island of Zanzibar.  We were on 
Safari from about Dec. 5 to Dec 18 which is the "short rainy season"  There was some rain but short and did not affect the Safari or game viewing.

     Some misconceptions I had:  1)  I expected the weather would be hot in December.  In Zanzibar it was hot.  However in the parks the weather was in the 70s (F).  In the early morning and evening it could get down to low 60s.  Be careful,  despite cooler days we were close to the Equator and suntan lotion is recommended.  2)  I expected to see animals only at dusk and dawn.  Animals are out all day.  3) I was told to keep luggage and carry ons under 44 pounds for intra africa flights.  No one checked weights but it is not difficult to take under 44 pounds.  I had benefit of laundry service at the accomodations.  Check if your accomodations have laundry service.  this will facilitate packing light.  4)  I expected rain.  There were two days when it rained but the rain did not last all day and never affected the viewing of animals.  Rain gear is really not necessary if you are going to view animals from the vehicle.   5)  I was not certain whether the same guide would be with us throughout the trip.  We had a guide who was extremely knowledegable and more than competent to guide us through each of the parks.  Only time we had a local guide was one night time viewing when a local guide took us out in the evening.  5)  I thought  safari clothes would be ok for Zanzibar.  I stayed at an upscale hotel and I did not feel comfortable wearing the safari pants and shirt.  I only had one pair of slacks for evening.  I would recommend two slacks and three collared shirts for the 4 days we were in Zanzibar.  6)  I thought only hotel or travel agent could arrange for Dolphin Tour in Zanzibar.  I met a fellow on the beach who arranged for the exact same Dolphin Tour as the hotel for a fraction of the cost .  Payment was negotiated in advance but not paid until after the Dolphin Tour and brought back to hotel.  People on the beach are very friendly.  No need to avoid talking to vendors you meet on the beach.

Tags: safari, tanzania

About goldenlaw


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.