Existing Member?

My Extraordinary Journal

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

INDONESIA | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [488] | Scholarship Entry

I often have a journey around many places in Indonesia. When I go to a different places, I often get a new experience of a new culture. One of the culture components is the special food. In my opinion every region has its own characteristics. Evident from the typical food that is also different. In North Sumatra for example, they are very fond of spicy food. Almost every dish is cooked with lots of pepper and do not use sugar. In fact, there is the typical cuisine of North Sumatra, known as "Napinadar", namely carp cooking meat or chicken cooked with their special flavor and taste is very spicy. I've tried it and the taste is so amazing. A typical tart and spicy mix once. In my opinion, this is the cultural distinctiveness Batak tribe who live in this area. They are characterized by a firm, dignified, and also courageous.
Contrast with North Sumatra, West Java, accustomed to sweet foods. I’ve never tasted a dish that is named "Karedok" which is a mixture of several vegetable spicy but also sweet enough. I never eat food with a flavor like that before. So I think, the typical Sundanese culture distinctively firm but gentle it is reflected in the typical diet.
In addition, I also had a journey in Yogyakarta for a few days for vacation. In this area of Java predominantly monosyllabic. While there, I did not forget to taste the food of Yogyakarta, which was named "Gudeg". Aroma and taste of this food is very distinctive, different from the others.Warm the mixture of ingredients to make the smell is very sharp and very interesting.And after I tasted, it was very sweet. In my opinion, this seems typical cuisine of Javanese culture, gentle and friendly.
Of the few places I have visited, I learned to understand the new cultures are shown by their respective specialties. And I still want to keep learning from other cultures of different regions, and also publish it so others can learn to understand the culture of others and learn to respect and preserve their own culture.

Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

About gointernational


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.