Existing Member?

Perfect Simplicity

Ancient Athens

GREECE | Sunday, 8 June 2014 | Views [402] | Comments [2]

The touristy-part of Athens is scattered with ancient ruins and restaurants with all the mouth-watering foods that beg me to be a fatty: moussaka, stuffed vine leaves, stuffed tomatoes, gyros, baklava - and that’s only to name a few.  It is truly my foodie-heaven. Moussaka is probably one of the richest savoury foods I have tasted. Wine is also stupidly cheap compared to Australia - at the supermarket you can buy a decent bottle for under 10 euros.  This is definitely my kind of country.

The ancient ruins took half a day to explore, but were well worth it - I can’t fathom how old some of the ruins are - I can’t even believe they still exist today. There is so much history and culture embedded in the architecture.  When I reached the Acropolis up at the very top, there was a panoramic view of Athens.  I could see the hills, the houses, glimpses of the ocean far off.  The view is so different to anything I would see in Australia. I took well over 100 pictures of the ruins.

The Greeks are some of the friendliest, charismatic and passionate people I have ever met.  They were willing to explain things to me and have a good laugh.  The taxi driver from the airport to Athens took the time to explain useful Greek phrases to me. He even taught me how to ask a Greek boy to coffee - because he insisted I should marry a nice Greek boy.  The taxi driver was so thrilled I was trying to speak Greek that he kept heartily laughing and cupping my hands in his. After a long red-eye and dehydrating flight, it was a welcome change to laugh so hard.

Tags: ancient, athens, food, greece, greeks, ruins, wine

Comments

1

When saying "marry a nice Greek boy" - the taxi driver was referring to himself. The phrases he was teaching you were actually "I am the legal property of Stavros Aleksander"

  Laughy McFatGuy Jun 13, 2014 10:32 AM

2

Thanks Laughy McFatGuy - that's a really valid point. I'll have to double check my Greek lest I am actually claiming my marriage to an overweight jovial middle aged Greek man. But then again, maybe I'll get an EU passport out of it?! ;)

  GoingSolo Jun 13, 2014 4:27 PM

About goingsolo

Koh Tao

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.