Existing Member?

Perfect Simplicity

Latern Lined Hoi An

VIETNAM | Friday, 16 May 2014 | Views [452]

Hoi An is everything I remember it to be: wistful, relaxed and latern lined.  It is a bit more touristy than it was years ago, but I think that is inevitable. I only spent a day in Hoi An, since I had been there before and was keen to keep moving along. I also got food poisoning and I think when ill - those are the moments when you feel the most alone. No one is around to look after you. Other backpackers can offer fleeting sympathy but you feel like they're more relieved it's you rather than them. A hug wouldn't have gone astray. But affection is a luxury you leave behind when you decide to travel the globe alone. Hydration salts also taste like the devil's anus and swallowing them made me want to be sick all over again.

I resisted the temptation to get a dress made. Since last time I was in Hoi An I had five dresses and a coat made. But resisting the temptation was easier this time due to the fact I was so ill I felt like I would pass out. I also didn't want to fall into the same trap I did last time - getting dresses tailored when I am skinnier from food poisoning. Because unfortunately that weight loss is oh so temporary and I am left with dresses that feel more like a form of corset-torture.

Hoi An was so chilled out and I again enjoyed the simple pleasure of parking up at a cafe for a mango smoothie and watching the world go by.

The hostel was buzzing with youth, but I got the sense most of the backpackers were there to experience the drinking scene (there were stories of a bar that gave unlimited alcohol for about $5) rather than the cultural scene....

Tags: dresses, food poisoning, hoi an, laterns, tailor, tourists

About goingsolo

Koh Tao

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.