Existing Member?

What Was I Thinking?!? Whilst in a foreign country, it is recommended to try new foods, learn the language, and alienate as many locals as possible.

Oceanic Division Line Park (Yesterday)

CHINA | Monday, 31 August 2009 | Views [656]

So we left sometime in the afternoon for some park that I didn't realize was going to be on the ocean. I didn't even remember the name until I asked Lily, who is our Chinese tutor. You'll see her in some of the pictures on my Picasa page. She's really nice.

Anyways, we got there and all we could see was this huge arched entrance. So we went up and saw a lighthouse, which was the first dead giveaway that we were by the ocean. The second was, after we climbed down a million and one steps, we got to see the ocean itself. The reason the park is called the Oceanic Division Line Park is because it's where two parts of the ocean meet. I think it's the Arctic and the Pacific, but I forget. No big deal. All I know was that it was gorgeous. First we climbed down past the lighthouse to this ledge which overlooked the nearby sea town. I don't know what it's name was. I think it's like the Kettering to our Dayton, only for Dalian. It also had cannons. I got to stand on the edge of the rail an be Vanna White for the coast in one picture. Then we walked down to another ledge with another plaque. Finally, after the million and one steps, we got to the bottom which was basically sea-level. There were MASSIVE jellyfish and lots of boats. There were also two plaques: one for people who had gotten married down there and one for this guy who swam from one end of the bay (the end we were on) to the other side. It took him, like, 21 hours to do it. Dude was crazy!

Climbing back up all of those stairs was awful though. I about died. UGH. We also got to see a lot of the city. Apparently we're not in Dalian, but a different suburb. I'll get pictures of it and then pictures of Dalian when we're not in quarantine anymore. But it was really nice to see the ocean again. It was lovely. Especially with the breeze rolling off of it.

Anyways, check out the photo gallery on this site, but also the one on my Picasa site. The gallery on Picasa is much larger. Also, that's what she said.

Tags: jellyfish, lighthouse, ocean, oceanic division line park, pictures, stairs

About godohell


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.