Existing Member?

Go Travels

A Local Encounter that Changed my Perspective - The Unlikely Shopper

PHILIPPINES | Wednesday, 3 April 2013 | Views [281] | Scholarship Entry

“ISDA! ISDA!”, Shouts a man in the distance. I was still meters away from the marketplace yet I can hear him shout with such vigor, though his yells were loud it is filled with such a friendly approach “ISDA kayo diyan bagong huli.” he shouted once again.

It was not over a year ago when I started living here. And yet I still cannot fully understand the local's language. But one thing I’m sure of is the word “Isda”, it is the local’s word for fish. As a fish aficionado I was able to discern the term quickly.

The market place is located in a seaside town whose main industry is fishing. The salty smell of the air tells me that it is a windy summer’s day. A good day it would seem, because good weather like this means a plentiful haul from the fisherman that has gone to sea.

As I Approach the market it seems that I was right, all assortment of seafood are displayed on the marble counter-top tables on the different stalls of the market. From fishes covered with different colors, to sea shelled critters that would leave me guessing on as how to eat it.

The market place is filled with plenty of tourists. A man who was staring at me as I head for the market has now a look of bewilderment at all the things displayed in the tables, and at the other side of the market there were a group of girls whose faces were filled of excitement as they took photos of every weird creature that seemed new to them. I left them in their own way as I needed to hurry up to “Mang Jose”.

Mang Jose is a well-known fish vendor in the market. He was the man shouting “ISDA!” just a moment ago. He is a small stout man in his late 50‘s. His face is written with wrinkles but a smile could reveal a friendly face. One of the traits that I think had made me trust him to be my fish provider.

As he saw me rushing over to him, he did not wait for me to say something. “Ah I was waiting for you, Come to have your fill for the day eh?” said Mang Jose. He then gave me the fish that he had separated earlier from the section he was selling. I gave him a friendly smile and a sign of courtesy and went on my way.

And as I walk home with my fish, I took a glance of the guy that was observing me when I approach the market, but now his face had changed from bewildered to a smile of amusement. Judging from his smirk I guess he felt somehow that he had just saw something that made him feel good about life and somehow will make him win some contest. But “meh” what would I know, I’m just a cat.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About godante


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.