Existing Member?

Writing 'bout pretzels (and other stuff)

Scoooones

IRELAND | Sunday, 11 May 2014 | Views [296] | Scholarship Entry

I'll never forget the day that I first stepped off a plane in Belfast on what my dad's aunt would describe as a "warm, summer day" but my family and I would describe as a "warm winter day" in Sydney. My family and I, all bundled up as we got into her car, driving around as she showed us the sights. We were taken to her house which was eerily similar to my grandma's (her sister) house back in Sydney. All the quaint little paintings, the smell of bread cooking, it was all too familiar back in my grandma's house. Her warm hospitality and she gave us all sweets as we sat out in the garden. She talked about the foxes and the roses she tended. She sounded exactly like grandma, only her Irish accent was stronger. Even her cooking was near on to grandma's. It was almost like being back home in Sydney after a week of adventures in London. She charmed us all with her many tales of her 3 other sisters living in Ireland and her 5 brothers also in Ireland, then the last brother off doing goodness knows what in Scotland. She told us stories of our grandma from when she was in Ireland not Sydney and all the troubles they got up to. My sisters and I found out about all sorts of relatives that Dad had never mentioned, including a cousin of his with pink hair and another cousin that was going to have a baby soon. She told us of all the latest goss so we wouldn't be lost. We were quite well informed in one afternoon. Over tea and gluten-free scones (or scooones as she drew out the 'o') she told us of all the wonders of living in Belfast despite the freezing temperature of summer. After hearing her troubles of being snowed in during winter, my sisters and I we quite thankful to our parents for having the foresight to come during summer. While we do crave for warm weather and sunlight for our tans, I wouldn't have minded at first if there had been snow. Neither would my sisters having seen it only twice in their lives and only getting to play in it once. And so, we bid Dad's aunt goodbye and made our way to the hotel, we were told to try the Ulster's Fry for breakfast.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About glovey


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.