Existing Member?

Trekking Adventure

The Journey to the Summit

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [186] | Scholarship Entry

Are you looking for an awesome adventure? Do the Milford Sound Walk, which is one of the 9 great walks of New Zealand. The track is 53.5km long and is done in 4 days. Book the huts in advance with DOC as only 40 people per day are allowed to do the track.
The second day is a 16.5km walk from Clinton Hut to Mintaro Hut, this area is prone to heavy rain, I mean really heavy rainfall that doesn’t bow down. Water was rolling down from the mountains creating waterfalls everywhere. I was struggling to take pictures, since my homemade waterproof camera case start to leak, I thought it wouldn’t survive. At the beginning I was sidestepping the water puddles with the aim to keep my boots as dry as possible, don’t bore at all, after a couple of hours they are going to be soaked! So the best advice is to get a good quality rain/wind/waterproof gear you can afford. It will worth the price! You will be grateful to spend that extra bit in exchange for keeping warm and as dry as possible.
I must admit that I felt so miserable with the rain constantly cutting like thousands of needles, my hands and feet were cold, I was pondering why I didn’t pick a paradise island to spent my holidays. However, the only option was keep going and accept walking with wet boots and dripping gloves, enjoy the experience, contemplate the landscape and take pictures, the rain wasn’t going anywhere just think in the nice heart and a hot chocolate or tea once you arrive to the hut.
It wasn’t until t next day that all the pain of walking under the rain makes sense. Trekking 14km in a zigzag climb to the Mackinnon Pass, with views of the Lake Mintaro and the Clinton Valley. I was surprise to find so much snow as it was summer time, the top of the mountains looked like a Pandoro! The highest point reaches 1154m and the view is breathtaking, there were small lakes surrounded by snow and the valleys looked deep and wild. Once you arrive to the shelter you will found it has a toilet with the best view in Fiordland! Honestly, it was hilarious! This time the feeling was of freedom and achievement, I couldn’t believe I was there, I felt I was at the top of the world, experiencing all the beauty and magnificence of nature. And as all good things in life are more enjoyable when shared with friends, my solo trekking and journey to the summit turned in a social experience, as I finished with some friends from different corners of the world that make this experience unforgettable!

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About globexplorer


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.