Existing Member?

The Globetrotter

ENCHANTING MALDIVES

MALDIVES | Tuesday, 15 July 2014 | Views [238]

MALDIVES.Lies in the middle of Indian Ocean, this beautiful country is composed of 26 atolls ( ring-shaped coral reef including a coral rim that encircles a lagoon partially or completely). The visa is upon arrival for most nationalities. You can check online if you need to apply for a visa beforehand just to be safe. The currencies they accept are USD and their own: Maldivian rufiyaa .

JULY TRAVEL. We flew to Maldives from Dubai via Sri Lankan Airline. The flight duration was approximately 8 hours, 2-hour lay-over in Colombo. Personally, I enjoyed the flight (it was my first time to fly in the said airline), not to mention it is way cheaper compared to Emirates Airline.

My boyfriend traveled 5 days before me since he went scuba diving. He did 8 dives in the span of 4 days and paid more or less $700 including the hotel stay. He got his own diving equipment so he didn't have to pay for the rental.

After I landed in Male, which is the main city, we stayed there overnight. One day is enough for us to roam around the city. The local people there are Muslims so it is advised to wear "non-revealing" clothes (though I wore shorts and sleeveless top. Nobody tried to harass us but you'll just have to get used with the stares). Alcoholic beverages is a no-no in the main land. But you can have as much as you want in the resorts (which is kinda weird).

Though this country has a tropical climate, it only rained once (only a drizzle for like an hour), then its all sunny for the rest of our stay.

THE RESORT. The next day, we were picked up at the small port which is located just outside the airport. The resort is just a 20-minute ride ($162 per person) from Male via the private speedboat from our hotel, Cinnamon Dhonveli Maldives. You can also use the public boats, it is cheaper, however it takes longer time. Another option is the sea plane which is more expensive but you can enjoy the view from above.

We stayed at the resort's over water suite ($514/Night). It is actually good for 3 people or couple with 2 kids. The room is just amazing, perfect for couples who like privacy.

It is very spacious and clean, very worth of what you paid. Our favorite part is the porch which has a private access to the sea. It's a good place to wait for the sunset while drinking some pinna colada. :)

We had an inclusive package which was a great move for us because we can eat from any restaurants (Koimala, Maakana, Rehendi, Raiyvilla Bar) in the resort. Aside from breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets, we have morning and afternoon snacks and its drink all you can! :) They served delicious food especially in Rehendi restaurant.

ACTIVITIES. We did some jet skiing for 30 min (max 2 people) costs $130 , snorkeling (a must do) by speedboat for an hour is $200 (max 4 people), one hour jet ski safari costs $90 per person . For the scuba diving, it is advisable to stay at Male and get a scuba package. They usually do 2 dives in a day.

For people who loves underwater beauty, you will for sure appreciate the pristine water of Maldives. The visibility is 30 feet! Just Wow, so don't you dare miss it! They have beautiful coral gardens (though according to our guide, it's not as beautiful as before the Tsunami 2004, that destroyed the coral reefs).

Laying on the sand with a book on one hand and a drink on another is an ideal activity for a relaxed afternoon. No small kids crying and running around the beach.

 

I am a kind of traveler who doesn't consider coming back to places I have been to, however, this breathtaking country is an exception. I am surely coming back soon.

 

Resort: http://www.cinnamonhotels.com/cinnamondhonvelimaldives/accommodation/

 

About globetrotwithme

KAZBEGI

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Maldives

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.