Existing Member?

hellbent hikers homers home

Peru

CANADA | Tuesday, 2 November 2010 | Views [451]

Wakin up in Arica Chile we set our clocks back one hour...gives us a bit more shut-eye...sweet.  We scored a nice hotel across the street from the bus stop.  14000 pesos, a little pricey compared to Peru. No buses to La Paz Bolivia today but thats okay with us. Just goin to chill in Chile for awhile. We walked down to the market only to be met with a huge celebration.  Met Juan in the market and said that his english was good.. well that was all it took for him to open up a little.  He told us he was a tour guide for Arica Chile and proceded to tell us exactly what to see.  Not only that but he said that we were lucky to be in Arica on June 7th, the day that Chile won the battle against Peru for Arica.  He said that explains the massive fireworks we saw last night.  The June 7th,1880 battle between Peru and Chile still remains a tender subject.  We climbed El Moro de Arica which offered a beautiful view of the town. We find the best thing do to in different towns is to climb to the highest point or up the lookout towers to reference yourself,get orientated, and in our case find another busy market to explore. Great market where the cervesa crystal flowed freely .Within minutes we chowing down on empanadas,sopaipillas and picarones.  After the 2nd beer I was hoping Angie knew how to get us back to the hostal.. She said no problemo...Thinking of how much I love my chica,I scarfed down another beer! 

About globetrottingwanabees


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.