Existing Member?

hellbent hikers homers home

homers home

CANADA | Tuesday, 24 June 2008 | Views [388]

day 11......snorkelling was primo! Tons of tropical fish,calm waters,can see underwater forever!Just float around and look at the ocean floor as  marine life swims past you.crazy beautiful!       Got up late this morning at 10am ,hit the beach for 4 hours of solid tanning. Did I mention the beach is just steps from our tent?  Drove into Lefkada Town for a little touring. You can still see visible damage from the earthquakes that this region experiences. The Fortress of Agia Mavra is just across the causeway.The town is quiet during the day, beautiful setting and harbour. was great to explore. More snorkelling on the way back to Nydri. Found a great lagoon with deep trench drop offs that reminded me of the movie "The Abyss". A bit scary gazing into those dark spaces down there! Back at Dessimi beach we were just in time for the best Paputsaki on the island!Angie and I watched as two old Greek ladies prepared the eggplant and spiced lamb for the dish. Paputsaki is like Moussaka. We bought the spices needed to make the dish. Hopefully we can duplicate the delicious taste of this traditional Greek dish when we get back to Canada!  Explored some back roads around Nydri and found   some pomegranate groves. Picked a bunch. Sweet,juicy,1st time to see them grow.thought they were apples at first glance. Nydri is the place for nightlife on the island. Wandered around the harbour front listening to greek song and dance coming from the many tabernas. Live bands,plate smashing,retsina and ouzo flowing freely. Island life! nothing like it! To end this beautiful day Ange and I shared some Kataifi. Its shredded phyllo{much like angel hair pasta} drenched in honey and sprinkled with nuts. Leave it to the Greeks to honey dip everything.Nectar of the gods,"mead" is an alcoholic drink made with honey too.

About globetrottingwanabees


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.