Existing Member?

Worn Sandals Journals "One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things." –- Henry Miller

The Importance of Insurance and Other Wisdoms....

USA | Thursday, 2 August 2007 | Views [500]

Expensive medicines are always good: if not for the patient, at least for the druggist" ~ Russian Proverb

As recommended by the travel websites and common sense, I made an appointment to get my immunization shots against Typhoid, Yellow Fever and other potentially deadly diseases at The Travel Medicine Center at St. Elizabeth's Medical Center in Boston.  And boy is it expensive! $150 for the doctor's visit alone + $110 for each shot. And of course because I don't have health insurance anymore, I have to pay everything out of the pocket.  God damn the lack of public healthcare plan!  Lesson learned here: quit your job AFTER you get the shots.

I also bought my travel health insurance at Worldnomads.com (This travelog is a free service provided for its members).  The company is based in Australia and only operates online, hence its relatively low prices in comparison to other insurers, such as Travelex.  I got a 4-months plan for $182, as opposed to $250+ from Travelex.  The insurance plan, not suprisingly, is popular among the backpacking crowd and covers many adventure sports, such as bungee jumping (maybe I should give that a try!). Of course, hopefully i will never get the opportunity to use it!

Tags: The Planning Phase

About globetrekker


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.