Existing Member?

Passion for traveling and backpacking

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Wednesday, 14 March 2012 | Views [193] | Scholarship Entry

I dont' know when all started, but here I was... In my own country, Panama I was backpacking and I liked it A LOT. But one of my backpacking trips ,and a local encounter with a foreigner traveler would change my life forever.
He was a young, good looking french guy, I was the local panamanian-backpacker. Everywhere I go it happens the same: you are a panamanian? and backpacking in your own country? why?
When we met each other at the hostel the same day of arrival but at different hours, didn't know that this shy guy will teach me something that will help me to learn about me and the world out there.
I asked him the next day, after interchanged the day before general basics, how he has been able to do the travel throughout Central America? Tips, advices to save up money and enjoy as maximum the backpacking?! I always do this to strangers to known people and I learned a lot!
He spoked to me that he saved a lot in accommodation through a webpage called COUCHSURFING.COM , and the most I heard talking about that page, the more resonated in my head, but until our encounter finished in our exit of the hostel, and I started to research about it, neither I will know this would be the best project and page ever!
There is not need to say that years ago I joined and started to use it. The concept, vision; mission that broaden and join from locals to foreigners, backpackers, travelers, families, couples; singles or anyone that is openminded to share their life, time, culture, country, and "help" other with not intention that sharing is what amazed and appealed to me. Thanks to couchsurfing project I made friends and a networking around the world, i enjoy with my own people in events or with others when I travel and use this free account. I received tons of tips, advices and even received help when I most needed with a tight budget and unexpected changed plans but not place to stay and just the kindness of unknown members that became your family abroad for a bit through this.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About globaltrekking


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.