Existing Member?

Here goes.... Relax, nothing is under control

Bangkok and Chiang Mai

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 29 March 2008 | Views [256]

Well, can't believe it's been a month already. Will now try to catch up on where we have been already. We are a couple of days away from leaving Thailand, our first destination on this world trip. This covers the first two weeks. What a wonderfully strange country this is! 

We are following a well worn route really but it's all new and exciting to us. A few days in crazy Bangkok, getting used to the noise, heat, Tuk-Tuks and temples found us staying on a fairly quiet street near the river, but just far enough away from the infamous Khao San road. Plenty of great cheap street food here and good access to the river bus meant our own 'Temples Grand Tour' was made a little easier. It was also an easy "way in" to some the Bangkok diluted ways and traditions here, even if understanding the country is something that probably only happens if you live here. Just go with it seems to be the sound advice.

After Bangkok, Chiang Mai seemed positively serene. This is probably the closest we will be to the true Thailand whilst we are here, despite the obvious western influences flooding in. We get the impression that this place is changing at real pace. It just seems a shame that the western consumerist ideals seem to be something already held in great esteem by the younger generations. Still, we are here so it's partly our fault too.

Chaiang Mai cookery school was a great experience and suprising too- namely that we were able to cook traditional thai dishes and not poison ourselves in the process! (We were required to eat our own set creations or go hungry)

We also took the chance whilst in Chiang Mai to visit the Elephant Nature Park. This place cares for injured and abused animals rescued from the logging industries and other horrible situations. we had the chance to feed and wash these amazing beasts in the river and learned too about the plight of the Asian elephant. A truly incredible and moving experience at a sanctury where they will be happy for the rest of their lives.

Next stop Cambodia, which we will catch up with soon!

Thanks for reading.

About globally-challenged


Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.