Existing Member?

Blending lights

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - My Big Adventure

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 28 March 2011 | Views [134] | Scholarship Entry

Traveling in car, as we all know, is a tedious thing. My sister and I would gaze in an almost desperate plea to the never ending desert. “Buelita”, as we call my grandmother, would always go rambling on how great that place was. A little piece of heaven, she would say. “Of course, it does smell like rotten eggs”.
Worst part is, she was right. When we arrived to that exotic place, we were greeted with the most awful smell ever. A hot spring, in the middle of the jungle, with the warmest and most soothing water I`ve ever felt. My grandmother would laugh, seeing her three granddaughters covering their noses while enjoying the water. “You need to get accustomed” my mom said, although, knowing how sensitive her nose is, I knew she was doing a big effort. First days were of sweet delight, just staring at the dark jungle while the water soothed our backs and joints. My grandmother was laughing a lot, she truly felt at peace. But we, the young ones, eventually grew curious.
We would explore the place, the howls and laughs that seemed to come from the jungle almost calling us. We eventually found out, that the howls and laughs came from a cave inside the hotel that was used as a bar. I remember my younger sister scowling at my cousin and I, “Did you actually believe they were some spirits there?” my cousin and I laughed, “Why not?” we answered. The cave was, in daylight, as eerie and alluring as it was at night. As any cave, it was big and menacing, but the soft echoes that suddenly came from it gave us courage. It reminded me of those old, dusty cathedrals were you can almost feel the intangible sense of being one with the world. Of course, when the bats came shrieking towards us, we just ran like hell.
The whole family eventually went to a abandoned house, quite famous in the surroundings because of it`s strange sculptures and fascinating architecture. Hippies were outside, selling their goodies and smiling towards everyone. We bought, asked and were delighted to know that the place itself had lots of history. It had been home to a renowned sculpture artist, who loved the stillness and view of the Mexican jungle. The best part? There was a waterfall, a jade colored waterfall inside the property. 15 meter tall, the water of the most gorgeous hue I`d ever seen. My dad stood by my side smiling, his hand always holding mine “The things we live for, huh?”.

Tags: #2011Writing, Travel Writing Scholarship 2011

About glacierian


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.