Existing Member?

Round the World Trip around the World 2008

Doha to Sharjah to Kathmandu

NEPAL | Monday, 8 September 2008 | Views [516]

Sometimes things move quickly.  You are here you are there.  I left Doha in the 44 C heat yesterday.  Just to keep it interesting, the cab driver forgot about a previously arranged appointment.  Alls well, ends well.  There was just a little bit of drama.

The flight to Sharjah was uneventful and quick.  Once at the airport in the UAE, I slept on the luxurious airport floor.  At least it was carpeted.  After some light sleep, I awoke again at 530.  About an hour later there was the boarding call for the Kathmandu flight.  About 4 hours later, I bought my visa and cleared customs.  What a piece of cake.

The landscape around Kathmandu reminded me of Bolivia.  I checked in to the Kathmandu guest house just a little haggered.  After a shower, things got a little better.  I had some Indian food and went for a wander in Thamel.  About 2 blocks away from the hotel, there was some kind of disturbance or protest.  I was not sure what it was all about.  A Tibetan Monk approached me and said a nice friendly hello.  Geez, what a change from Morocco!  He spoke broken English and I thought it might be a good idea to invite him for a cup of tea.  What an interesting experience...he wrote my name in Tibetan script and proceeded to bless the tea.  About 10 minutes into our conversation at the cafe, the REM song "Losing my religion" played over the loudspeakers!  Really strange and surreal.  He asked for a small donation for badly needed repairs to his temple.  I was happy to hand over a few dollars, just for the experience.

I was pretty beat up from travelling and lack of sleep.  There are all kinds of massage places here in the Kat.  I went upstairs and 2 local ladies worked on me.  One for the head and shoulders and one for the feet.  After about an hour, I walked out of the place feeling like a million dollars.  The whole vibe here is completely different again.  Lots of traffic and lots of action.  Kind of a good energy.

My mission tomorrow is to find interested parties for the Everest Base Camp Trek and Annapurna Circuit.  I ll buy some knock off gear at bargain basement prices and arrange the necessary paperwork.  I ll also take a wander around town and see the local color.  Im sure I will have more stories and pictures soon.

Hasta luegito

Daz

Tags: kathmandu

About glacierdaz2


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.