Existing Member?

Feather diaries

Understanding a Culture through Food - Mamma Italia

LITHUANIA | Thursday, 18 April 2013 | Views [140] | Scholarship Entry

When reading a zodiac, it always annoyed me when Taurus was described as the one who enjoys eating.I never considered myself being a hearty eater.But time changes things and I grown out of sceptic thoughts about my hungry origins.Maybe it was written in the stars or in my zodiac,but bite by bite I ate my way though to the real understanding of the greatness of the food.I found my way in one of the places,where everything screams about fine dinning–Italy.
When I sat at the table of little bistro in Venice it was already after 5.The waitress smiled and gave a menu asking whether I am Italian.She closed menu and after a while came with two plates of different pasta and insisted that I try them both.Pasta a la carbonara and Cannelloni.Smoky bacon,cream,eggs,cheese–that’s some real life magic putting my tongue under a spell.And then cannelloni.Oh, what sweet heaven those cannelloni have been.Stuffed with minced meat and tomatoes, garlic breaking apart in my mouth creating miraculous nirvana of taste.
Tomorrow came with sun and hunger.When I came to Simones’ restaurant it already time to eat.I took a menu and with my poor Italian ordered risotto a la mare, brushetta and tiramisu.I wanted to taste it all.First came the brushetta with eggplant,tomatoes and mozzarella.Crusty bread and vegetables melted mixing with wine and creating Italian heaven in my mouth.Then came the rissoto. Shrimp and shellfish treats resting between round rice and parmigiano.Every bite so fresh and wonderful I almost hoped the dish wouldn’t end.But it did.Like every meal it had a longing end,which left me craving for some more.The last note for this symphony of divinity was tiramisu.The more I enjoyed, the better I felt.After this dinner I left different than I came in.
This was my last day in Italy.Venice, Verona, Rome.Every person I met and every dish I ate made me realize something more about that wonderful country I visited.Food is the heart of everything.I can very well describe anything about Italy though kitchen.Italian people are always friendly,greeting you like wonderful smell from the pot, strong and passionate like a cup of espresso. Sometimes too fast and spicy like that chilli pepper put in the pasta with creamy sauce.And also they seem to remind me canelloni-empty without some meat in them.The architecture of meal is no less beautiful than San Marco square or any other of Italian world wonders.To be honest–you can see whole Italy on your plate if you are willing to taste.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About ginnyfeather


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Lithuania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.