Existing Member?

Maryland in California

A Local Encounter that Changed my Perspective - Maryland in California

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 19 April 2013 | Views [185] | Scholarship Entry

She was approaching us slowly, with a certain unique aroma. “uhh.. hallo….” The aborigine woman said shyly like a little girl, folding her arms together like a pretzel..Tanner replied, seemingly delightfully, “Oh hi! How are YA!”“Good…,” “Where ya from?” Her eyes were shining curiously. “I am from Nevada, but actually I’ve been here for almost seven years in Alice Springs, haha…. Oh, did you know that Nevada is very close to California?”“Oh! I know Califoniaa!!... ughhh.. the Ggggrand … ttthe Grand Cannyeeaan! I’ve been theere!!”“Really?? Wow, awwessome!” Tanner replied with exaggeration.“Yeas! And my boyfriend is in California!! Maryland!” She seemed to be very excited after hearing about the California. Tanner glimpsed at me quickly and replied, “Oh yeah… wow, awesome!! How’s he doing?” The aboriginal lady says-- she is far more excited than before—“Yeah he’s doing great! He’s fantastic! He is also half-Cuban, and reeeeeeally haandsome!” “Wow…. Oh then he is half Cuban-American who lives in Maryland, California… right?”“Yeass, I talked with him yesterday…,” The aboriginal lady replied. She seemed somewhat uncomfortable, and the woman suddenly started to cry. Tanner imitated her. I know Tanner, he always exaggerates to show empathy for the people he is talking with, but really makes everyone feel awkward. It was sssssooo nice to see you lady, stay well, and please say hello to your boy friend! Seee yaaaa!!” Tanner said with a big affected smile. We started to walk back to school again. When I turned back to see her, she was still there, staring at us. Tanner said to me, ”Oh my god, did you hear that? MARYLAND, CALIFORNIA??” “Yeah?” I said. Actually I didn’t know where Maryland is, so I didn’t know why he was laughing soooo hard. Tanner said, “Maryland is not even close to California! It is on the East coast!! Damn she’s dumb!!” Then I said. “Yeaaah!! I know, oh my God.. what the hell is wrong with that aborigine lady? Maryland, California?? What a stupid thing to say.” At that moment, I suddenly felt good about myself because I could keep up with their slang, which is very hard for me. Tanner said, “Yeah, it’s so funny isn’t it? But it is really a big problem that aborigine people drink alcohol at the riverside, never work, and get money from the government.” “Yeah I know,” I replied.
After I came back home, I suddenly wondered where Maryland was, so I Googl-ed it. I finally found out that there actually was a town called “Maryland” in “California.”


Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About ginny


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.