Existing Member?

Feeling at Home, Everywhere.

Solo Adventures

USA | Friday, 12 June 2015 | Views [331]

I’m an introvert.

I love time alone with my thoughts; in fact I need time alone to recharge myself. I know people who dread the idea of an evening or weekend in their own company. I seek it out.

     Don’t get me wrong, I can enjoy being around people. I’m just more of a small dose kind of girl. I don’t mind travelling with people, and have many times, but a solo trip can be magical.

     It all started in my early 20’s, when everyone is focussing on building careers or families, it can be difficult to sync up vacation times. I really wanted to travel, so out of necessity, I struck out on my own.

     My first trip along was New York City. A few things that made it easier were going with a purpose and have visited before with people. I arrived on Saturday, and Sunday evening was a Toronto FC game which I would be meeting up with friends for the game. This was my 3rd time there in as many years, I knew my way around the city and how transit worked, which meant I was comfortable.

     I was so excited to travel on my own. I am a planner; I’d say 50% of the excitement of a trip for me is the planning beforehand. I don’t think I had ever planned as much for a trip as I had before my first solo venture. All of the planning was worth it, even though I did not completely follow my itinerary, the knowledge I had filled me with a sense of confidence.

     I could barely sleep the night before that trip and I can still barely sleep the night before a trip.

     The growth and sense of accomplishment I get on a trip are immeasurable. There is a forced extroversion that occurs. As much as I’m an introvert, I’m still human and crave human connection and interaction. I was on a road trip in Nova Scotia, and ended up talking with the gas station attendant for about 15 minutes after I paid. Humans just want to connect.

As much as someone wants to share where they are from with you, they want to tell you how much they enjoyed their visit where you are from, and she had a great time visiting her Daughter at the University of Toronto.

I can’t wait for my next solo adventure, the satisfaction of conquering another foreign city on my own.

Tags: adventure, solo

About gingerninja


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.