Existing Member?

40 Million Sheep

Kiwi cults

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 7 October 2012 | Views [435] | Comments [1]

I think I was almost recruited by a cult today.  As I was wandering around downtown Auckland I came across a group of people at a street corner.  Thinking they were just an enthusiastic group of buskers, I stopped to listen to their original song and dance routine.  After a few seconds of observation, however, it became clear that they either belonged to a cult or some sort of hippie commune.  A woman then tried to present me with a booklet entitled The King of Knowledge, which confirmed it as the former.  I declined, then walked across the street, wondering why the chanting wasn’t fading away.  Chancing a glance back, I realized the whole group had crossed the street as well and were now dancing up the sidewalk towards me.  I escaped them by ducking into a nearby gear store. 

Hours later, I saw the cult again, still chanting, and occupying a different street corner.  I had just settled in to observe them from a distance, when I suddenly heard bagpipes play only feet away from where I was sitting.  A group of five or six kilted people had just marched out of a pub, and struck up a tune, apparently at the request of some pub patrons.  They stopped after a few bars though, and starting marching towards the cult people.  Naturally, I followed them, hoping for a cult vs. bagpipe standoff of some kind.  Unfortunately, this didn’t happen, and the bagpipers just marched to another pub where they played a brief song and then left out the back exit.  I tried to follow them, but failed which was a little disheartening.  How hard can it be to find a group of brightly coloured people playing bagpipes?  I won’t mention this incident should I ever become a detective.   

Comments

1

Terrific first post, very funny and well written. Glad you didn't join up with the cult but a bagpiper in the family would have been awesome.

  Mom and Dad Oct 7, 2012 10:33 AM

About gillthompson


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.