Existing Member?

Homeward Bound

Family of geckos required - must be willing to travel...

LAOS | Wednesday, 1 October 2008 | Views [452]

The mozzies have landed and made their arrival known, by making my legs nice and patchy! Ha, could be worse, Matt trapped his fingers in a door this afternoon on the boat and now has two purple fingernails and some lovely bruises come tomorrow most likely!! Thankfully nothing serious as we aren't too convinved of the medical treatments here (Luang Prabang Laos)...

So we have been on a "slow boat" for the last two days with a stopover in the deligtfull village of Pak Beng. Really interesting journey and beatifull scenery though very much sore arse inducing. Boat was pretty jam packed with lots of small stopoffs usually to pick up some locals and several bags of rice! Nice mix of people on the boat, all sorts of nationalities and walks of life. The river itself (Mekong) is very brown and muddy coloured, thougha apparently has some enourmous catfish living in there (2m +) and the most wildlife diversity in any river oher than the amazon! Soo so muddy though we didnt see anything other than the odd dead Ox, No actually we did see a crab - the kind you get on the beach!

I wont rave about the accomodation for the last 2 nights as "functional" is about the only way to describe it, but was so cheap we really cannot complain! Luang Prabang has brought civilisation (and a really quite decent room) as we are beginning to know it however, and we have been for our weekly curry - Nazim, south indian, fab, v tasty.

Off to the markets shortly, walked through on th way into town, full of lovely stuff. I could buy tonnes! (but I only have a little room left in my bag, though I did notice there is a post office in town...!)

Chiang Mai was our favorite city/town in Thailand and we really enjoyed our time there, took a motorbike up into the hills which was quite an adventure and not as hard as we thought (way easier than bicycling hee hee) Looking forward to seeing some more of the countryside in Thailand when we return tho, as we mostly saw towns on the way here.

well, we will see what tomorrow brings, hopefully not rain, and not too much heat so we can go explore the town and its surroundings. Its a beatuifull setting, right on the river with green trees and the like as far as the eye can see, with the odd temple poking its way thru the foliage! Will try and put some pics up soon, my memory card is getting jam packed.

About gillsherratt


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.