Existing Member?

My travel My story

Heart, Feel and Travel

USA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [96] | Scholarship Entry

Time flies, and I have just realized my recent travel experience was three years ago already. Three years ago, it was my first time to come to the U.S., and I was a new immigrant. It is no doubt that my favorite part of this travel is I am “earning” experience. Yes you did not see it the word wrong. It’s earning! You may say that I can use money to buy an experience, but the thing is the travelers have to use their hearts to feel it.
I grew up in Hong Kong, and now I have settled down in the U.S. I can feel the difference between Hong Kong and the U.S. tremendously. I live in Southern California. It is dream place for most people to live since the weather in here is very nice. I think it is too nice though. Even though it is a sunny day in Hong Kong, I can still see clouds on the sky, but in the U.S., the sky is totally clear without a single cloud, so there is no cloud to block the strong sunlight. I have put on sunscreen every day, otherwise I would get tanned. Because I live in Southern California, there are many gorgeous beaches here. Everyone loves to enjoy sunshine and beach here. This is an advantage in the U.S. which is better than Hong Kong. In Hong Kong, even though we have a couple of beaches, because of water pollution, the beaches are not suitable for people to swim anymore. It is pretty sad.
I pay attention to the details in daily life, even though as simple as going to shopping and public libraries. When I check-out at the library in the U.S., I observed that the staff printed me a receipt. In Hong Kong libraries, the staff usually just put a stamp inside the books to indicate which day they need to be returned. Another thing is that there are many fun things to do in the U.S. libraries. For example, you can volunteer in the library, visit the bookstore and buy some cheap books, join some free events in the library such as watching movies in summertime. The libraries in Hong Kong are pretty dull.
It is the fact that Hong Kong and the U.S. have many differences. Either I like it or not, it is also an experience for me. A Chinese proverb says, “You can experience more by traveling thousands of miles than by reading thousands of books”, and I can tell you that it is true! Next time when you go to travel, remember to use your heart to feel it. You will “earn” a lot!

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About gigisjournal


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.