Existing Member?

vacation guide

a city on top of a lake

BURUNDI | Wednesday, 20 May 2015 | Views [101] | Scholarship Entry

If you ever went to Burundi you know that they have enough of these two things;
A lot of sea food and big juicy mangoes that I have never seen anywhere else in east African community but maybe Kenya and Tanzania on the sea food part.

That is the tip of the iceberg in reasons why I like to go to Burundi, another reason is the climate in the capitol city.

It’s warm throughout the year and sandy in the city, they say that there was a time that Bujumbura was covered by Lake Tanganyika and due to that warm climate I always felt hungry every couple of minutes after taking a meal and if I stayed there longer I would have gained some weight.

This was my third time in that city and was there this one place I couldn’t go back home without visiting.




I was on vacation in Burundi; it was not my first time there.
There is this beach called saga plage that I always wanted to visit.

“Tomorrow we will go to saga plage.”My brother said.
And the next day my dream was going to come true but when we got there it was not what I pictured or what I saw in music videos but hey it was in weekdays maybe the weekends were much better.
Who knows?

I was with my sister, brother and his family; we occupied a bungalow and started telling jokes but I left them in bungalow to go wandering on the beach enjoying the breeze and watch people swim hitting the waves after some minutes walking I noticed a tiny shop in a distance selling ice cream.

I asked the price and the seller said two thousand BF (Burundian francs) for ½ of a liter which is equivalent to one thousand or less in my country.

“And I was like damn is this my birthday?” I said to myself.

This was going to be my second time to eat ice cream as they say the second time is always the best and I was so excited.

It felt like a lifetime to get my cup and when I got it I started eating nonstop and it was burning,
My teeth and my tongue ached but i didn’t care.

After what seemed like forever we went back where we were staying and because Burundi is so hot, my ice cream started melting and it made me sad because I couldn’t finish it.

I spend another week there and after that it was time to go home.

All in all that was the last time I went to that beach but every time I eat ice cream, it reminds me of that beach and I wish that when I go back that I find the ice cream guy selling at the price I said above of course .

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About ghostwriter


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Burundi

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.