Existing Member?

Gracious Sailor on the Ganges

My Scholarship entry - Seeing the world through other eyes

WORLDWIDE | Wednesday, 11 April 2012 | Views [306] | Scholarship Entry

The guide took a hold of my forearm and helped me on board the watercraft. “Boat” is too generous a word for what looked like a shack in a shantytown of Delhi, yet we were setting sail for a trip down the Ganges. I was looking forward to respite from the cacophony and malodor India can embody; whenever I feel intense sensory over load I find a way to see the stars. Stretching awkwardly atop the blankets that would later be used to make our tent I didn’t think much of the young man and his elder captain that were our guides. He seemed like many young Indian workers, happy, curious, and overly gracious.

As it turned out there wasn’t quite enough wind to sail so our industrious leaders began rowing. Feeling uneasy being so closely attended to, I aimed to take part in this endeavor. Unsurprisingly, the guides insisted otherwise. I imagine they felt pride in providing such a service, but I pushed back passing it off as a photo op and then kept rowing. Without a common language, we began to open up by smiling, nodding, and pointing. As he was peeling away his layers of professionalism and guardedness, I was imagining his life on the river and what it must be like to have so many travelers on his boat but not getting to travel him self.

His sun worn skin and smiling eyes told stories of the people he rowed. He showed me a several pictures and letters he had received from previous passengers. The inability to communicate verbally set my imagination free; what he couldn’t tell me with words, I fantasized through make believe having his life. How special it must be to give people this rare experience in India, the part of the world that is his own. Did he think about those he rowed? Was he ever jealous of his visitors? It is that last question I know he would answer with a nonverbal smile. Someone with a smile and a laugh like his has a heart full of gratitude. How serene to have a life sharing the beauty and gentleness of the Ganges with his guests.

Tags: boat trip, ganges, get out and go, india, travel writing scholarship 2012

About getout


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.