Existing Member?

A_German_Brauerei

My first Brauerei

GERMANY | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [155] | Scholarship Entry

There I was ready to convey all efforts and experiences into learning a new language. It was my determination in learning and my passion for Germanic cultures what took me to that Brauerei that freezing night. Perhaps freezing wouldn´t be the word a real Germanic descendant would use for such a slightly chilly temperature but for someone like me, used to the sultriness of the Mexican desert, a temperature like that was quite breathtaking. Whether it was too cold or not, one thing was sure: I was freezing. The cold air had pricked against my face whereas the moist brought by the Rhine had tackled on my back on my way to the brewery. Even worse, the comments and complaints I received by those incredibly model citizens every time I was walking by the red lights had also attempted against my moral. But that was before I dashed into the brewery, for now I was warm and relaxed.
People around me were chatting and laughing, getting seduced by the foamy beers served, one after the other, in big jars. It was a huge contrast to the atmosphere I had experienced that very same morning, as I stepped into the bus, where the slightest whisper seemed to break into everybody´s ears and disturb everyone. Now everyone was noisy, some even shouting. Or perhaps the stammering was somehow silenced by the yellow spectral lights in the room.
I was there, slightly afraid, for I was completely alone surrounded by so many people speaking a language I didn´t master: “Ein Bier bitte. Danke.” was the most elaborated sentence I had uttered since I went into the bar.
I can´t really remember how many beers passed by until I finally merged with my environment. Somehow it happened, I was not longer alone.
It was a great. I would start talking with someone, then introduced to other people, then cut off by other people they knew in order to get introduced to new people, who ended up by being the first people I started chatting with that night. Simply amazing. Finally, after some more beers and laughs, one of my new friends convinced me to go eat something with him before going home, an invitation I couldn´t refuse.
We went out to fight against the freezing drizzling night again (which by the way seemed to be warmer) looking for a gute grösse Wurst, as he repeatedly said. We were standing outside, waiting to be served, as three other lads bumped into us and joined us. I looked at the time, it was only 3 am. I then understood my night was not over yet, it was just starting.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About germany_experiences


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.