Existing Member?

A Day in the Bay

Your Backyard - A Day in the Bay

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 6 November 2013 | Views [244] | Scholarship Entry

We went to Byron Bay to see what happens when a small hippy coastal town becomes a popular tourist destination. As a filmmaker, I find it fascinating to see how traditions and locals deal with the changing world. In modern life I believe we're obsessed with the experience, we create fantasy ideas of places we go, but we end up staying in our air-conned rooms and cars.
Tourists came to Byron to experience the personal laid-back surfer lifestyle, but they far outnumbered the locals and this changes the place.

My ambition is to make a travel doco, that is really explorative and truthful about the place. Less tourist sites, and more conversations with locals that reflect the true experience.I also would like to not only capture the people and places, but also the sounds. Inti my camera/sound guy is a sound designer and DJ, so especially with a place like New Orleans that is so musical and diverse, I want to capture the city's sounds and create a soundtrack, making the doco a total immersion in the place.

This opportunity would mean we could both hone our skills in a place and way that neither of us would be able to afford usually. It would be, simply put, amazing.

Tags: Travel Film Scholarships 2013

About georgiatemple


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.