Existing Member?

Lou's Clues

Here Comes the Groom

INDIA | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [118] | Scholarship Entry

“CHALO, LET’S GO OUTSIDE! HE’S HERE!” someone breaks the silence as we sit patiently in the Gurdwara. My family and I hurry out the temple to welcome Cousin Genevieve’s soon-to-be-husband. As we slip on our golden Jutti shoes and tighten the scarf on our heads, I hear horns and trumpets blast from outside the gates. The constant beat from a bass drum commands attention, forcing me to run to the street and witness the commotion.

A sensory assault greets us—vibrant outfits, deafening music, and flamboyant dancing. A herd of groom’s relatives sport traditional outfits in intense hues of red, green, pink, yellow, and orange. The marching band is dressed in royal blue, matched with ornate fan-like hats. The men wear turbans, signs of self-respect and spirituality. The women’s henna-tattoed arms flick in the air, grooving to the rhythm. At the center of the mania, the groom in white sits gallantly on a beautiful stallion. He waves like a king with his left hand; his right raises a sword like a warrior.

The groom’s brother summons everyone to join the merriment. A gush of adrenaline pushes me to dive in. I throw both arms up and wobble my hips to the middle of the pack. Somehow, the dancing sways me next to the white horse. I look up the groom.

“Sudeep! You’re marrying our Gevie!”

“Your family’s awesome, man! Thanks for coming all the way from Chicago for this.”

“It’s an honor. Take care of my cousin, yea?”

He responds with two nods and reassuring smile.

The massive entourage halts. Sudeep dismounts his steed and looks around. His eyes glisten with joy as he embraces his beloved parents and brother. They link arms and walk down the steps toward the temple door. The ground is damp from heavy rains earlier, but we must remove our shoes before entering the Gurdwara. I stoop and kneel in front of the groom.

“Sudeep, your shoes. Let me take them for you.”

He hesitates, but a few seconds later, allows me the honor.

“Thank you, brother. Danewad.” He says.

The families shake hands and welcome each other; two cultures about to become one. The thunderous music fades into utter silence as everyone steps in the temple. Guests sit on the floor quietly, waiting for the bride to make her entrance. Eager anticipation is palpable.

The Sikh wedding is about to begin.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About genghislou


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.