Existing Member?

Gendo 4 years since I've been in Europe and am loving the return trip!

Toulousain!

FRANCE | Tuesday, 9 October 2007 | Views [476]

I can't believe that i've been here for over 2 months! With all the rugby world cup madness, my parents coming, the crackhouse dramas and subsequently having to set up my own studio, i feel like i've only just settled down into Toulousain lifestyle!! And it must be said, the lifestyle in Toulouse is nothing like the rest of France. Everybody enjoys life and is really easygoing, much like you find in good old New Zealand. The town itself is awesome. It's very young given it's one of France's largest student towns, so there's heaps of bars, restaurants and cafes to relax in. I'm slowly making my way through them all...But it has to be said that working in De Danu has meant a lot of my socialising is spent with the english people, whether that be after a shift or watching a game of rugby. They've tried to get me into watching the football but i can't really get into it and i don't understand the rivalries -i've been caught already supporting the 'wrong' team. Apparently it was like me supporting the Wallabies... As Toulouse is the heart of the rugby region they've set up a rugby village on the edge of the river Garonne. There's several bars set up down there so it makes a nice change of scene for us from De Danu and the atmosphere is amazing. However this wasn't the best place for me to be on Saturday night with that unfortunate loss to the french. I was the only kiwi in the crowd watching the big screen - the 30 000 of us that descended on Toulouse the weekend before for NZ - Romania had all left for Cardiff. I was absolutely gutted and the 1000s of french cheering and rubbing it in my face did not help. But we live on. So I've set myself up in a studio 5 minutes from the centre of Toulouse and 15mins from De Danu. Its nothing big but it's all i need and very cosy. Thanks to mum I've got NZ stuff all around, including a kiwi (the bird but not a real one) sitting on table and posters on the walls. 
So i'm extremely happy here in Toulouse and my return date to kiwiland is changing daily so will keep u all posted!   

Tags: People

About gendo


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.