Existing Member?

Stories not atoms I started 'stories not atoms' to enter the documentary competition... but after discoveirng what and how I can share future travels online here, I will be back to add more and more!

Simpson Desert science meets the community

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 1 August 2010 | Views [1021]

After traveling to the Simpson Desert with the University of Sydney’s Desert Ecology Research Group (DERG) in November 2009 it occurred to me that their extensive body of research had never been shared with the local pastoral community.

On my way back through Bedourie, the small outback Queensland town on the edge of the desert, I spoke to a Diamantina Shire council member about wanting to organise a community event that would introduce local residents and graziers to the work the scientists had been doing over 20 years. Even as an outsider with a peek into their findings, I knew much of what they studied was relevant to the community.

When I secured a place on the June 2010 research trip I started organising a community information event in Bedourie for July 1.

As always, when working in a remote location with no electricity, running water or amenities, it was important to be organised and prepared. An exciting challenge was playing the diverse roles of planner, interviewer, producer, sound recordist, camera operator and editor.

For me, the essence of documentary making is telling stories. It’s about having a very privileged front row seat into different lives, passions, cultures, communities and peoples.

Stories are everywhere and telling them is something I want to spend the rest of my life doing. I recently set up a small business to help me do so. www.tellwell.com.au

Tags: agriculture, community, graziers, pastoralists, research, science, science communication, simpson desert

About gemmadeavin


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.