Existing Member?

The journey is my Home

Everything is possible

DENMARK | Sunday, 11 May 2014 | Views [199] | Scholarship Entry

I have never liked being alone, doing things alone and living alone. I always needed somebody by my side. 
I was always sure that I can't live without my parents and best friend. But everything changed, when my parents moved to another country. I had to take care of myself. It was hard, really hard. I asked my best friend to stay with me because I hated being alone. I didn't went to even supermarket alone. I was independent, but I was scared doing things alone, going somewhere alone.  
But soon I got tired of this monotonous life. I decided to do something. Something what could change my life totally. I had one thought on my mind but if I wanted to make this thought to come true, I had to be brave, very brave.  
One year passed and I finally realized what I had done. It was the day, when I was standing at the airport and waving to my family and friends and saying good bye for one year. Tears were running down on my cheeks and I was shaking all over my body. I couldn't move, I couldn't leave them . But I had to, it was my own choice. I heard the voice from the speakers that it's time to go on the plane. It was the flight to Copenhagen. To country, where I had never been, where the language was very difficult. I knew that I'm going to start new life, I'm going to the new world. 
This decision was done and there was no way back.  
It was hard to let go. To let go my friends and family, my home and home street. To let go everything for one year. I was sure that this is not for me and I want to go back home. Too many thoughts, way too difficult language, too many strange people and no friends.  
Time was flying by so fast that I didn't even recognize that I had been in Denmark for 8 months. I had went to Danish school and made new friends. I had learned that hard language, which I thought I could never learn. But I did. I made memories with my new family and with my new friends. It's the year, I can never forget. It was the best decision and I don't regret anything. 
But now, I have still one question on my mind and I can't find an answer for that. "How did I end up there?", what sent me there? Because it wasn't actually even my choice to go to Denmark. It was that random moment when I decided to close my eyes and point out to one random place on the Europe map. And there it was - Denmark.  
Country with full of lovely people, interesting culture and beautiful language.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About gelisvaarman


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Denmark

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.