Existing Member?

Enthralling Travel Journal of GelatoTraveler

A silly experience during my trip to Italy

ITALY | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [515] | Scholarship Entry

Italy, this is the country where you can relinquish curiosity of historical remains, swim in warm Mediterranean Sea, relish succulent traditional Italian dishes and gelato, etc. Ah...che bel pease è l'Italia!
“All roads lead to Rome”, it is an appropriate aphorism when unexpectedly, I could return to Italy for the third time accompanied by my perfect travel mate. We had only 3 days and 2 nights to itinerate around Rome before my flight back to Indonesia. We landed at Ciampino Airport in the afternoon, then directly bought Roma Pass (60€) and took its advantages. It is valid for 24 X 3 days incl. public transport and also sconto for the airport shuttle to Termini Station.
We checked in at Sergio House nearby Termini Station, previously booked on Hostelworld. The hostel was always full, not surprising for an affordable B&B hostel with clean rooms and good services. On our last day, they managed to provide us a bigger room. Without wasting any time, we looked for aperitivo bar on Lonely Planet and chose Oppio 72 offering all foods and a selection of beverages for only 10€. Then, on my phone GPS, I searched the address of the caffè which automatically directed to Via delle Terme di Traiano.
The rain was slightly getting heavier, so I suggested to taking bus. But then we realized that in Italy we should not expect the bus on time, especially after the nightfall. We were wet after a long time waiting, but the bus still did not show up. My travel mate encouraged to going by foot. With empty stomach in a cold night, not so easy to keep your good mood, especially when the GPS led us to the wrong street! There was no building number 72, there.
I swelled and blamed my boyfriend for not being able to read map. I grumbled at the edge of the street while he patiently retraced the street. Suddenly, I recalled that in the review, Oppio 72 facing Colosseum. He came back felling sorry without any result. I told him about what had just crossed my mind. Quickly, he tried to find the way to the closest metro with Roma Pass map. A smile shaped on his face. We continued our quest to fulfill the appetite. In about 15 minutes by metro, we arrived right across the Colosseum, precisely on Via delle Terme di Tito. A slight automatic prediction tricked our GPS. I had to admit that he was still mio perfetto compagno di viaggio. From that moment, I will never forget the day when a review from online travel guide book helped us to find a right way rather than an advanced technology.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About gelatotraveler


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.