Existing Member?

The art of getting lost

Catching a Moment - Desert Dirtbagging

CHILE | Friday, 19 April 2013 | Views [246] | Scholarship Entry

There was no doubt about it. My tourist lifestyle was adding up to loosing too much strength and gaining too many kilos. There was only one solution: Dirtbag time! And I found the perfect destination for it: A remote climbing spot, only vaguely described on the internet. So I stocked up on crackers, pasta, and cookies, and not knowing if I’d find any other people, I positioned myself next to the road.

Hours later a chatty truck driver with an indecipherable Spanish pronunciation dropped me off at the end of the asphalt, and I found myself alone in the driest desert on earth. No wind, no shade, and no traffic whatsoever. With valuable time ticking away I had no choice but to hoist my twenty kilo backpack on my shoulders and walk the final kilometers. For the first time this trip I got gripped by a feeling of despair.

I must have been about halfway when a rattling sound interrupted my musings. Squinting in the bright light, I could make out a red car and a driver too tall and too blonde to possibly be a Chilean. He pulled over and a quick talk revealed he was Canadian, a fellow rock climber, and heading for the canyon as well. I let out a silent sigh and hopped in.

When we arrived I found the place even more beautiful than the stories I had heard. In the middle of the desert, the green plants contrasted sharply against the red rock and endless blue skies. And the sunsets would have sent Bob Ross into a frenzy of happy little things. This definitely was the wilderness I had been looking for. Only, it had been months since I last climbed and I was feeling apprehensive to say the least. The perpetual ping pong in and out of the shade in an attempt to maintain a stable skin temperature was not helping either. But I hadn’t come here to whimper, so I braced myself and inched up the beautifully sculpted rocks. And it felt amazing. Within hours my body remembered what to do, and turned my movements into a continuous flow of happiness.

For five days I climbed without pause, and then, just as abruptly as they had set off, my muscles went on strike. It was time to return to civilization. Tired and content I went back to the boiling hot roadside. Despite being caked in brown-grey dust, a friendly couple on their honeymoon picked me up. Not only did they give me a ride back to civilization and a much needed shower, but they also treated me to lunch. While recounting my adventures to them, I realized it wouldn’t be long before I’d be on another mission impossible.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About geiske


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.