Existing Member?

Desert senses

The best thing I ever did

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 31 August 2015 | Views [364] | Comments [2] | Scholarship Entry

I am not a film student. I do not work with cameras or in studios. I do not own any fancy editing software and I only bought my first camera yesterday (and unfortunately didn't get to use it for this project!!).

Who am I then? I guess I am a dabbler. As a kid I would always muck around making movies ('The Pines' definitely tops the charts with 'Fairies on Trial' coming close second on the blockbuster list!), and I've continued to do this throughout my life for a bit of fun.

I stumbled on the info for this scholarship and straight away pictured my travel inspiration subject - she really is my inspiration! In my head I could see her (I'm not saying who, you'll have to watch to find out) sitting exactly as she does in the video, the beautiful light streaming onto her face.

I guess for me, entering this was a bit of a whim, but it has taught me so much. My film isn't perfect, but I really tried to apply techniques I've seen on movies and heard film-student friends talk about. My biggest lesson was about the importance of capturing sound well and now that I have my own spiffy camera I am planning on continuing to improve my skills and capture life as a form of art (and maybe one day take this interest further). This opportunity would continue to open my eyes to the documentary film world and I'd hope to learn some of the secrets behind Brian's creative imagery.

I hope you enjoy my film, I really feel like I have made something beautiful and truthful!

Tags: 2015 Film Scholarship to Colombia

Comments

1

Thanks for the kind words :) It sounds like Fra has lived a pretty amazing life, she really speaks the truth "It doesn't have to be the best hotel or best circumstances". Thank you for sharing her story and great choice of music, it really set the mood.

  Matt Sep 15, 2015 10:32 PM

2

Thanks for watching, and thanks for the comment, Georgia! Your entry is great, best of luck to you!

Cole

  colemanlowndes Sep 17, 2015 8:24 AM

About geemc


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.