Existing Member?

Haiti

30 hours to departure...

HAITI | Monday, 31 May 2010 | Views [137]

I have exactly 30 hours until I leave for Haiti. Its completely hit me that this is happening. For a trip that has been planned for 6 months, it took the entire time for it to become real.

Even though Haiti is dangerous and there's no guarantee that I'll be safe, there is no doubt in my mind that this is the right thing to do. Since the day I decided to volunteer in Haiti, my heart has invested more and more into the cause and I believe now more than ever that this is my calling. This is exactly what I want to do with the rest of my life. The feeling of helping someone else instead of helping yourself is a feeling like no other; its fulfilling beyond words and makes me feel whole. Even in times when I feel broken, helping others heals my soul. 

I hope that it will be as smooth a transition as possible and that I'll feel welcome and at home at base camp in Leogane. I pray that the weather and conditions in Haiti won't be as debilitating as I fear they may be and that I will be able to do all I can with all I have. 

 

About gboyer


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Haiti

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.